The entire goal of this course is to get your site on the first page of Google for your search terms (keywords). The higher the better. That’s the reason we don’t leave a stone unturned. If there is something that might help us get there, we need to take a shot.
Google provides a number of free tools for the webmaster. One of the most important is Google Analytics. This tool allows you to keep track of your website traffic. You can monitor how many people visit your site and how they got there (amongst dozens of other measurables). If that was the only benefit it would still be well worth it. These lessons are concerned about Google search rankings though, how does this fit?
Well it is the opinion of many people that Google lends some weight to sites that use their website services. In my opinion, this makes it a complete “no brainer”.
You can monitor your websites traffic AND possibly boost the status of your site in the eyes of the almighty Google. Win-Win.
To set up Google Analytics follow these steps:
- You will need a Google Account, you can get one form Google.com if you don’t already have one. If you have Gmail, you have a Google account.
- Then you need to visit: https://www.google.com/analytics/ and there will be a big “access analytics” button, click it. You will have to enter your Google account information.
- You will be prompted to enter things such as your URL, country and time zone. Do that and hit continue. You will be prompted to enter some personal information, enter that and hit continue again.
- Next step you will read and agree to Analytics terms and services.
- Now that is done, you will get the “Google tracking Code”. This code will need to go into your website code (yes code again, hopefully you are comfortable with this or have a good web designer). Just enter the code provided onto the bottom of the pages you want to track, right before the </body> tag.
- In 24 hours you will begin to receive updates on your website traffic! Simple as that.
- Sign up for Google Analytics
- Paste the tracking code onto your website
- Again if necessary you can get a professional to do this for you